Old 29-10-2008, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jellybean stonerfish jellybean stonerfish is offline

Default Lemon tree

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:59:09 -0500, Dioclese wrote:

Okay. I live in Central TX. Last winter, the frost killed the one year
old lemon tree sapling's singular stalk. Out of hope, this past spring,
I watered the bare pot anyway. 3 independent stalks appeared almost
foot tall now, obviously from the same root structure. I'm choosing to
let all 3 grow for at least another year before choosing one for final
choice.

I brought in the pot to the house a couple of days ago. The pot is
about 24" tall and 9" in diameter. Its sitting where the lemon gets
about 3 hours of sun per day from a partially open window blind. Is
this enough sun? How about watering? My house has electric heat.

Not the answer you asked, but..
Often a cutting of the desired variety of fruit is grafted to a hardy
root stock. This means that there is a good chance that the stalks you
are growing are not of the variety you desired.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafting

In most cases, one plant is selected for its roots, and
this is called the stock or rootstock. The other plant is
selected for its stems, leaves, flowers, or fruits and is
called the scion. The scion contains the desired genes to
be duplicated in future production by the stock/scion plant.

stonerfish