Old 10-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Shiva

Default How did everybody get started with their rose hobby?

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 22:55:39 -0700, Maria Martin
wrote:

OK, I'll play along. When we bought this house 10 yrs ago there were a few
scraggly roses and I logged on to the formerly wonderful rec.gardens.roses to
perhaps learn what to do with them. It was a warm and friendly group (I still
have a big folder of print-outs of messages which included advice, but also
poetry, essays, observations, erudition, short stories, and some gentle
insults). I became an enthusiast. When Judy Pineda hosted a dinner party for
Sam McGreedy, I had to be there. When the group got T-shirts (thanks to Alice)
and wore them to SJHRG, I had to be there too. I now have maybe 60 roses in the
ground and 20 in pots. Latest purchase is Hot Cocoa, even thought I didn't want
any more floribundas, the color got me.

That is so nice! Whatever part of wonderful is missing now can still
be had, you know. In PRIVATE groups where you can all wear the same
t-shirts and make plans for dinner every week and even have a secret
handshake if you want.

Meanwhile, welcome to rgr 2003.

zia maria