Old 10-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Bill

Default Stream

"jammer" wrote :

City/county regulations first.

Good idea, I'll check today. Judging from the water features in my city,
I don't think it will be a problem.

But what I was hoping for was something like, "I made a stream once and
then spent the next twelve years repairing it because I failed to insert
handy tip here before I started digging."

My thoughts so far:

I don't want much, maybe 12 inches across and 3-6 inches deep,
meandering somewhat through my tropical gardening. But maybe I should
calculate how much water that will take. Evaporation will certainly be a
problem.

Return pipes above ground, maybe hidden in foliage or mulch. There will
be about 150 ft. and I don't want to have to dig to look for leaks.

Law of diminishing returns has to kick in somewhere in the idea of
making it in easily replaceable segments. At some point I will get more
problems with having seams than I would by having to cut out sections if
there is a problem.

Will all my minnows swim to the bottom or the top? I'll have little
quiet areas where they can congregate in midstream.

Should I make a cement foundation? I have sandy soil and I want kids to
be able to get their feet wet without tearing the whole thing up.

How can I keep a sandy shore in spots?

Any experience will be appreciated, I have about 6 months before I can
start. I have to do some work on the house first so I won't get roofers in
the stream while I'm trying to build it....

---