Old 10-04-2003, 02:20 PM
A.Malhotra

Default Grape Hyacinths

swroot wrote:

Michael wrote:

Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot get rid
of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy clay. Systemic
weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading and growing lots of new
bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can destroy them.

I had that problem once. They make good compost: show them no mercy!

Yes, they're a gorgeous blue. But if they like your garden, what starts
as a scattering of gorgeous blue flowers in spring becomes a solid mat
of bulbs and juicy green leaves smothering everything else in the garden
later in the year. To add insult to injury, nothing eats them, not
slugs, not snails, not mice, *nothing*!

Why not just cut the leaves off. Don't they die backlater in the year
anyway?
Anita

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley