Old 31-10-2008, 11:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Watering Systems

In article ,
Trish Brown wrote:

Now I have another question. What is the creature that munches circular
holes in the leaves of apple trees? I've looked and looked, even used a
magnifying glass, but I'm blowed if I can find a single animal on the
leaves.

You won't. That's the work of the Leaf-Cutter Bee. Fascinating little
animal, it is a solitary bee that nests in a tunnel. It lays an egg at the
end of the tunnel, then uses a nice round piece of leaf to seal it off, lays
another egg, gets another bit of leaf, and so on. Here, they usually snip
circles from rose leaves.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/