Old 31-10-2008, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default garlic

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:20:00 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

The Cook wrote:

I just
used some from Costco. I figure that it is a good as mail order and I
doubt that what the nurseries around here have is actually "local"
garlic.

The Costco stuff is more than likely from China, which grows a lot of
really cheap garlic. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 3.05 meter
pole, because of the possibility of soil-borne nasties. But, it's probably
better than planting nothing.
Half the fun of this is networking with other like-minded loonies;
preferably fairly local (though the Net has greatly expanded "local").

The garlic from Costco is Gilroy. It specifically states on the bag
that it is "California Grown." Costco says that they verify the
sources of the foods at least annually.