Old 31-10-2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JustTom JustTom is offline

Default garlic

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:28:29 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

kate wrote:

Guess I'm boring. I went to Whole Foods and planted whatever the organic
garlic they have is.

That works fine, but you have to hope it is a type suited to your local
conditions. At least, use your own best bulbs for planting stock in the
future, since garlic adapts.

Also, if it came from a store it's almost assuredly a softneck,
right?

Not boring but, IMO A clove of store bought softneck compared to a
locally adapted hardneck is kind of the same difference between a hot
house tomato versus an heirloom from your garden.

They may belong to the same family, but one is grown for convenience
of the grower and the practicality of bringing to market, while the
other is grown purely for taste.

tom