Old 31-10-2008, 08:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
ReelMcKoi ReelMcKoi is offline

Default Wow! It got cold here

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
It dipped below freezing night before last here in northern Florida,
and not only set records but caught me by surprise. It usually
freezes once or twice a year here, but never this early before,
Thanksgiving is enough to make the front page on the local papers. The
lily bloomed three times, but it seemed that no one but me was
impressed. It has gone on to bloom an additional six times, for a
total of nine flowers. I don't know if that is common or not but it
sure is a lot of "bang for the buck" for just a Wal*Mart lily. I
don't know what you really call it but I got a sprig of "water
parsley" that I planted near the pond. It has sent out three to four
foot long "runners" into the pond (and everywhere else). I'm gonna
leave it and let the lily and the water parsley battle. It ought to
be fun to watch, the show starts in the spring.

We got our first real frost the night before last. The nights have been
cold for awhile. The fish are losing their appetites. They're not going i
nto
their usual feeding frenzy at feeding time. I picked all the green
tomatoes. I hope they ripen on the windowsills.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.