Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default NG is so quiet!

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

Short days on the north side of a hill. Rain expected thur. through Tue.
I've planted Brussel sprouts, cabbage, onion, and garlic. The leeks
still aren't as large as I would like them. Any advice on when to
harvest?

Yes, you can leave leeks in the beds covered with a nice thick blanket
of hay or straw. If you live in the south, I recommend alfalfa hay as
coastal bermuda has weed seeds. If you live up north on the east
coast, salt marsh hay. Just leave them in and al winter you'll have
fresh leeks.

Victoria

Thanks for the heads up. As luck would have it, I still have half a bale
of alfalfa:O)
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars