Old 01-11-2008, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge Rusty_Hinge is offline

Default New purple GM tomato

The message
from David Roberts contains these words:

I grew some black cherry tomatoes outdoors this year - I don't know the
variety because I bought them from a charity stall.

MTAAAW, but mine were from a reputable source. (Black Cherry)

In general, very disappointing.

Ditto. Just a darker shade of red - almost grey.

Slow to crop, boring lack of flavour, very prone to splitting.

Cropped OK, fast enough, strange flavour, no splitting - but then, I
kept the compost at a fairly even dampness through the whole season.

Of the mixed bunch, a yellow cherry tomato was by far the best - sweet
with a hint of sharpness, good cropper, did well outdoors.

Shirley was my best. San Marzano had more flavour (bought as a plant
labelled as Tumbling Tom...) but less crop. Tumbling Tom OK but not
spectacular.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig