Old 10-04-2003, 03:56 PM
MLF

Default National Geographic and water hyacinth

Craig Cagle wrote:
Hi all. I just watched a special program on National

Geographic channel
about how water hyacinth is taking over Lake Victoria in

Africa.
And to think I wanted to put some in my pond this spring...

We have the same problem in the US with water hyacinth and many
other plants. It is a serious and, so far, unsolvable problem.
People just don't know or don't care and spread the problem plants.
I know that ponders are generally more conscientious than 'average'
folks, and I trust that none of you are making matters worse.

Have a look at the following to get a list of invasive and
problematic plants:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/weeds/

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/index.htm

BTW: Different plants are prohibited in different states. Visit your
state's Dept. of Agriculture website to find out.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)