Old 02-11-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Withycombe[_2_] Tom Withycombe[_2_] is offline

Default Receiving this newsgroup

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:17:18 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

Please forgive this rant but I am feeling fed up with Demon to whom I
have been loyal for a very long time. And if you answer this thread I
won't be able to see it! :-( But I just wondered how many others who
have Demon as ISP are no longer able to receive this newsgroup.

David

I'm using Demon and can see this newsgroup. The main difference is
that I am also using lots of other Usenet providers at the same time!

There are many free news servers so you don't have to depend on Demon.

If you are thinking of leaving Demon it's worth noting that they
provide very, very reliable connectivity. It just their news server
that is unreliable.

Steve

I used Demon as ISP from 1994 until March this year and have noted a
major falling off in service levels. Apart from the moving of Customer
Service from London to the sub continent (from where many companies
provide satisfactory levels of support - but not Demon where obviously
insufficient training and authority was given to the new support staff),
the changes in ownership via Thus to Cable & Wireless have done little
favours for the subscribers. There are many who provide "very, very
reliable connectivity". and reliable news service supply.

I migrated to a competitor earlier this year after huge frustration over
billing, reliability and a number of well known issues. I am delighted
with current levels ofd service with my "new" ISP and happily still use
Turnpike (v. TP6.05U) to receive exactly the same newsgroups as those I
previously enjoyed.

I truly believe it is a disgrace the way Demon's client base is now
treated as has been mirrored in the general postings in demon.service
ng. for the past 4 or 5 years. Demon used to be tops. Sadly it no longer
is having been overtaken by others (Zen, Eclipse, Supanet etc.). Plus ca
change! Without wishing to mix linguistic metaphors, caveat emptor is
very valid in Demon's current phase.
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset