Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Lemon tree

"aaahBisto" wrote
Hi, I have purchased a small lemon tree today, it was outdoors at a
gardening centre. The mrs is saying I need to bring it indoors into
the house cos it's from a hot country, it is currently in the
conservatory which is not heated. Does anyone please know if I
should indeed bring it inside? The instructions just said that it
could go outside in the summer, but nothing about overwintering
it...

Also i've filled up a recycle bin with compost to put veggies in and
grow indoors. Do you please know if I should drill drainage holes
in this and if so what can I use to collect the water that spills
out in terms of a tray... Seemed like a good idea at the time. It
has carrots and onions in. Many thanks.

Cold conservatory..yes
Warm/hot house..certain death.
Your shout.

Keep the compost just damp never wet in cold weather.
Never let the roots sit in water, ever. Try not to use a water tray but if
you have to, raise the plant up on bricks so there is no chance of the pot
sitting in water even for a moment.
Get hold of some winter feed (They sell it in tubs) and use it.
Give it as much light as possible and if the weather turns warm sit it
outside in a S. facing spot against a wall bringing it back inside when it
turns cold again.
Ours are still outside.

--
Regards