Old 03-11-2008, 04:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Which is better for the lawn over the winter?

On Nov 3, 10:26*am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
Never indicated in any shape, fashion or form that I subscribe to making of
"teas" for application to the lawn. *Just that its there to try. *A
respondent wanted more information, I said want I knew off the top of my
head. *Then, you jump in and make all these negatives, of which you want
demanding evidence of their actual workability. *See my first sentence
here...

This is exactly what you posted:

"After you mulch the leaves, aid the decompostion with a wetting agent
and
something that aids bacteria in breaking down those leaves. There are
a few
"teas" in combination out there in recipes to put in your hose
sprayer
bottle. "

Now excuse me, but that doesn't sound like "I heard somewhere that
tea, beer, whatever MIGHT work. Any reasonable reader here would
take that statement as recommending teas as a lawn procedure known by
you to work. It's sort of like a guy asking what underlayment he
needs for a new tile floor and you responding with "You can use straw
because that's the extent of your limited familiarity and direct
knowledge of the subject. How useful is that?

I did rent a 2 DVDs from netflix regarding gardening. *Its whole and
entirety was about such "teas". *Did not know that from title of the DVD
prior to renting same. *I did watch both in boredom. *I don't remember the
amounts for dilution. *I do remember this self proclaimed "master gardener"
stating amounts of said product, then in the video showing said "master
gardener" measuring the product in an obviously another amount of said
product. *Sometimes, twice as much as orally stated.

I Googled for "lawn", "beer", and "tea" in same search. *Try it.

Here is the "master gardener" noted above:http://www.dptvmedia.org/home.php?cat=50

In fairness, here's an opposing opinon about the beer thing:http://www.homeabc.net/Garden-Landsc...Landscape.html

Seems to me it would be more prudent economically to incorporate some yeast
prediluted in warm water via hose sprayer, than beer. *That is, if their
premise of the yeast in the beer aiding leaf eating bacteria is real.
--
Dave

You do realize that most yeast in beer dies as the carbs are converted
to alcohol and depleted and the alcohol level rises? And that most
beer is pasteurized? Certainly all the common brands that a person
would likely grab when the recipe just says "beer". So, goodbye
yeast. And you'd have to question the basic knowledge of these
geniuses recommending crap like this, when they obviously don't even
know what beer is.