Old 04-11-2008, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
SteveB[_6_] SteveB[_6_] is offline

Default How raised is raised

I used 10ft lengths of PVC pipe bent to arch
over my raised beds. Think covered wagon.

Thats the sort of arch I make for putting shade cloth or bird netting over
seedlings or fruit trees. I make arches out of 8 guage fencing wire for
small covers and star pickets (Y posts in US speak) and 2 inch poly pipe
for trees

You can actually get clips that
will hold materials to the pipe from greenhouse supply places.

I use old boards or bricks or just baling twine to keep mine in place.

I used
plastic early and late season, netting to keep the birds out of assorted
yummy fruits and Remy (sp) cloth to keep out the bad bugs on certain
crops.

I've used old net curtains when there has been a locust plague.

The plastic extended my growing season by at least two and in some cases
three months and the netting saved all the strawberries for human
consumption.

I have to keep Blue tongued lizards away from my strawbs - they eat them
whole otherwise. It's a wonder any of us get produce given all the
wildlife we ahve to keep from eating our crops.

I have a Singer walking foot industrial sewing machine, and I'll be using it
this year to make some shadecloth covers for parts of the garden as well as
decorative canvas awnings.

Steve