Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default Japanese gardens

Nick Maclaren, wrote:

I am going to Tokyo on business, and shall arive fairly early on
Saturday, half blotto. I should like to visit some gardens, but
wasn't very impressed by the Tokyo ones when I was last there
(with one exception). I should also be interested to ride the
bullet train.

So, does anyone have any suggestion of good gardens to visit that
can be visited in c. 6 hours from Tokyo, without too much hassle
(which I won't be able to handle in that state)?

There are a number of great Japanese gardens in and near Tokyo. Now the
mums are in full bloom and the maples are in full color.

Hama Rikyu Gardens
Imperial Palace East Gardens
Inokashira Park
Jindai Botanical Garden
Kasai Rinkai Park
Kitanomaru Park
Kinuta Park
Koishikawa Korakuen Garden
Mount Mitake
Rikugien
Shiba Park
Shinjuku Central Park
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
Ueno Park
Yoyogi Koen

Yoyogi Koen is a spacious Western style park with wide lawns, trees and
ponds, popular among foreign residents. Yoyogi Koen is known for its
autumn leaves, especially the golden leaves of the many ginko trees. It
is a 5 minute walk west of Harajuku Station. Admission is free.

Rikugien is one of the most beautiful, classic Japanese landscape
gardens of Tokyo. Dating from the Edo Period, it reproduces landscape
scenes from famous poems in miniature. Beautiful during all seasons. It
is a 2 minute walk from Komagome Station. Admission is 300 Yen

Hama Rikyu Garden is alongside Tokyo Bay. It is a nice Japanese
landscape garden with former duck hunting grounds. The contrast of the
garden with the nearby skyscrapers of Shiodome is spectacular. It is a
10 minute walk from Shinbashi Station. Admission is 300 Yen

Koishikawa Korakuen is a beautiful Japanese landscape garden,
representing famous Japanese and Chinese sceneries in miniature. It
dates from the early Edo Period and is enjoyable during all four seasons
of the year. It is a 5-10 minute walk from Iidabashi Station.
Admission is 300 Yen

Mount Mitake is part of the Chichibu-Tama-Kai National Park in western
Tokyo. A shrine and lots of hiking opportunities await visitors to the
mountain, which can be reached in less than two hours from Shinjuku. It
is accessable from Mitake Station, JR Ome Line. Admission is Free
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html
http://rhodyman.net/rabooks.html
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6