Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

Default Which is better for the lawn over the winter?

On Nov 4, 1:10*pm, wrote:
On Nov 4, 11:43*am, z wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:21*am, wrote:

On Nov 3, 10:26*am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Never indicated in any shape, fashion or form that I subscribe to making of
"teas" for application to the lawn. *Just that its there to try. *A
respondent wanted more information, I said want I knew off the top of my
head. *Then, you jump in and make all these negatives, of which you want
demanding evidence of their actual workability. *See my first sentence
here...

This is exactly what you posted:

"After you mulch the leaves, aid the decompostion with a wetting agent
and
something that aids bacteria in breaking down those leaves. *There are
a few
"teas" in combination out there in recipes to put in your hose
sprayer
bottle. "

Now excuse me, but that doesn't sound like "I heard somewhere that
tea, beer, whatever MIGHT work. * Any reasonable reader here would
take that statement as recommending teas as a lawn procedure known by
you to work. *It's sort of like a guy asking what underlayment he
needs for a new tile floor and you responding with "You can use straw
because that's the extent of your limited familiarity and direct
knowledge of the subject. * How useful is that?

I did rent a 2 DVDs from netflix regarding gardening. *Its whole and
entirety was about such "teas". *Did not know that from title of the DVD
prior to renting same. *I did watch both in boredom. *I don't remember the
amounts for dilution. *I do remember this self proclaimed "master gardener"
stating amounts of said product, then in the video showing said "master
gardener" measuring the product in an obviously another amount of said
product. *Sometimes, twice as much as orally stated.

I Googled for "lawn", "beer", and "tea" in same search. *Try it.

Here is the "master gardener" noted above:http://www.dptvmedia.org/home.php?cat=50

In fairness, here's an opposing opinon about the beer thing:http://www.homeabc.net/Garden-Landsc...Landscape.html

Seems to me it would be more prudent economically to incorporate some yeast
prediluted in warm water via hose sprayer, than beer. *That is, if their
premise of the yeast in the beer aiding leaf eating bacteria is real.
--
Dave

You do realize that most yeast in beer dies as the carbs are converted
to alcohol and depleted and the alcohol level rises? * And that most
beer is pasteurized? * Certainly all the common brands that a person
would likely grab when the recipe just says "beer". * So, goodbye
yeast. *And you'd have to question the basic knowledge of these
geniuses recommending crap like this, when they obviously don't even
know what beer is.- Hide quoted text -

i think the assumption would be that the nutrients left *by the yeast,
dead or alive, would be helpful to the bacteria, mold, etc. i'm not
entirely sure, though, that that's helpful; after all, the goal is to
get the compost digested by the bacteria, not to raise healthy
bacteria because they don't have to eat the compost.- Hide quoted text -

And after you take a 6 pack and distribute it across half an acre, how
much of those nutrients are available per square foot? *And what
impact does that negligible amount of beer have compared to everything
else that is there? * *How about the fact that alcohol kills
bacteria? * *Get a grip.- Hide quoted text -

you're probably better off drinking the beer and peeing into the
compost. lots of urea to feed the little beasts.