Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
kate kate is offline

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

Gary Woods wrote:
kate wrote:

Hide, Gary!

I've done the next best thing.

My garlic has sprouted, which in my blissful ignorance I'm pleased
about. In the past it has usually died back in the winter to sprout anew
in the spring, but the last 2 winters have been warm enough that it
never died back.

I don't get store bought sized heads, but it sure is good.

If you give it a good shot of N while the foliage is growing in early
spring, plus potash when the bulbs are forming, you'll likely do better.
Of course, smaller garlic tends to be more pungent as well as store better,
so unless you really think size matters, why bother?

My pride was wounded a bit this weekend: Some folks came up to get stuff
I'd put on Craig's list (two ....erm... mature households merging have a
LOT of extra "stuff!"), and noticing my email (think garygarlic in the
first part), brought a nice bulb of "music" they'd grown. Fully twice the
size of mine.

Oh, well... as the Senators fans used to say, "Wait 'til next year."

One of the best parts of gardening - next year. I sold at a small
farmers market for a few years but would never take my garlic - MINE!
All mine! One farmer sold elephant garlic - huge things, but it
aappeared to only have one clove?

For fertilizing, I tend to stick with compost and manure and/or herbal
teas. I tried to cure tomato blight with garlic tea one year - didn't
work entirely, but I had tomatoes to sell into August so who knows?

Kate