Old 05-11-2008, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
SteveB[_6_] SteveB[_6_] is offline

Default How raised is raised

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day steve,

why till at all if you are going to do raised beds?

you can make them as high as you like almost, maybe for you around 2'
to 3' tall depending on those who are going to use them.

keep the beds to about 3' wide.

we have pic's on how we do our beds on our site they may give you some
ideas?

corrugated roofing makes for good sides not sure what roofing you have
over there but any metal shet roofing might do, but you could use any
materila you may get locally look in the demolition yards maybe? the
beds probably aren't going to be cheap to set up due to the height you
want but once done that is it then. the corrugated stuff is popular
over here seems to last quiet a while.

the ones here are all premade beds just sit them on the ground and
fill them, but for me i'd prefer loose sheets and galvanised star
pickets, so if a sheet did corrode out then it would be easier to
eitehr replace or fit another sheet over it.

blocks will cost because you need to lay a foundation first so they
don't fall over.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:43:16 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Thank you for another fine idea. I am going to pick up some 22 ga.
corrugated metal tomorrow from a local Fabral plant. I can get all the
scraps I want. Tomorrow, I will be picking up 8' lengths for a lean to
shade. But I can have them trim them to most any length, and a bunch cut to
length would be mighty handy.

Thanks again.

Steve