Old 05-11-2008, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

"kate" wrote...
One of the best parts of gardening - next year. I sold at a small farmers
market for a few years but would never take my garlic - MINE! All mine!
One farmer sold elephant garlic - huge things, but it aappeared to only
have one clove?

Elephant Garlic is actually related to Leeks and isn't a true Garlic, the
taste is not that of true Garlic either IMO. Mind you some years ago whilst
in Cyprus we came across enormous true Garlic being sold in the market, wish
I'd bought some to try here in the UK but it probably wouldn't have done
well.

For fertilizing, I tend to stick with compost and manure and/or herbal
teas. I tried to cure tomato blight with garlic tea one year - didn't work
entirely, but I had tomatoes to sell into August so who knows?

We use Bordeaux Mixture sprayed on our plants to ward off the Blight, works
well provided you keep it topped up if it rains hard for a few days and is
easily washed off the fruit before use. Most of our Tomatoes are used for
cooking so are skinned anyway. We picked our last outdoor Tomatoes on
Sunday, amazingly late, after the plants were killed by a frost.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden