Old 05-11-2008, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Steve Young Steve Young is offline

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

"kate" wrote

Gary Woods wrote:

[...]
Oh, well... as the Senators fans used to say, "Wait 'til next year."

One of the best parts of gardening - next year.

*amen!*

[...]
For fertilizing, I tend to stick with compost and manure and/or herbal
teas. I tried to cure tomato blight with garlic tea one year - didn't work
entirely, but I had tomatoes to sell into August so who knows?

Kate, something I've experimented with on the tomato blight, with great
success, is spraying the foliage/plant with ionic silver. A human friendly,
and very potent fungicide. I believe if I'm consistent with applications, I
might be able to get it knocked down almost entirely. Though before you
think, *oh my*, 30$ a gallon spraying 30 plants at about 2 gallons an
application, check this out for ionic silver, (at about a dollar a gallon).
It's the Collgen2 I use to make a 6 PPM solution.
http://www.health2us.com/colloid.htm Fred Peschel has really designed an
impressive little unit that works a treat and is not unreasonably expensive.
I also use the silver to treat a well and it is 100% effective at
eliminating bacteria in the water system. Ionic silver is a real cure.

Steve Young