Old 05-11-2008, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
kate kate is offline

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

Steve Young wrote:

"kate" wrote

Gary Woods wrote:

[...]

Oh, well... as the Senators fans used to say, "Wait 'til next year."

One of the best parts of gardening - next year.

*amen!*

[...]

For fertilizing, I tend to stick with compost and manure and/or herbal
teas. I tried to cure tomato blight with garlic tea one year - didn't
work entirely, but I had tomatoes to sell into August so who knows?

Kate, something I've experimented with on the tomato blight, with great
success, is spraying the foliage/plant with ionic silver. A human
friendly, and very potent fungicide. I believe if I'm consistent with
applications, I might be able to get it knocked down almost entirely.
Though before you think, *oh my*, 30$ a gallon spraying 30 plants at
about 2 gallons an application, check this out for ionic silver, (at
about a dollar a gallon). It's the Collgen2 I use to make a 6 PPM solution.
http://www.health2us.com/colloid.htm Fred Peschel has really designed
an impressive little unit that works a treat and is not unreasonably
expensive. I also use the silver to treat a well and it is 100%
effective at eliminating bacteria in the water system. Ionic silver is
a real cure.

Steve Young

Thanks fr the idea, Steve. Maybe I'll get the starter bottle for next
season and see how it does before I make the bigger investment. I was
planning on letting the tomato crop rest a year but maybe...have you
tried treating the soil itself so would that be basicly polluting the soil?

Kate