Old 05-11-2008, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Shipova Pear

"Tim Perry" wrote in message

someone;813088 Wrote:

I have a loquat tree in my garden, it produced one (1) fruit last year
after
18 years of planting from a seed brought from Portugal, but life is
difficult here in U.K., fruit-wise. We cut the little fruit in half
and we
each had a half :-)

I also have about six Surinam cherry trees (Eugenia uniflora) here in
N.
Wilts, which I grew from seed. I don't think I can sustain them since
only have a small greenhouse and they're getting bigger, so I am hoping
find a botanic garden that will take them on, maybe Ventnor.

Hi someone, thanks for the info, seems from the general consensus that
my
Surniam cherries will have a hard time, Oh well, win some, lose some.

But you did say your Loquat had a fruit, did it have many flowers, I do
not expect much from it, but given some flowers I can collect the
pollen, which is what I am after for something else I want to try.

Hi, sorry this is such a late reply, I was away for a while in August and
September so didn't catch up.

Our Loquat had only the one fruit in 2007, but in the previous November
(2006), which was really very late, the tree suddenly produced hundreds of
sweet-smelling flowers in large bunches. It must have been the wet spring
that did it, since my Syzygium jambos tree also produced flowers for the
first time. The Loquat flowers almost over-wintered (well, I guess one
did), so if the weather's wet and mild enough your tree may well flower.

someone