Old 06-11-2008, 11:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim[_19_] Jim[_19_] is offline

Default Which is better for the lawn over the winter?

trader4 wrote:

Lawn Guy wrote:
trad... wrote:
Because in most rural places with folks with lots of
trees and experience, bagging doesn't exist.

And it doesn't apply.

I'm talking about urban properties - not rural.

No, it does apply, because in an urban area, with a lot with few
trees, it's very easy and effective to just use a mulching mower and
grind up the modest amount of leaves on the lawn. I do it. Others
here do it. And contrary to your nonsense, it's not because we're
lazy. It's because it's less work, returns organic matter to the
soil, and is environmentally sound. But go ahead and keep shoving
your leaves in bags if you want. We really don't care. Just don't
go around calling those of us who choose not to lazy or claim that
doing so is incompatible with a healthy lawn.

trader4, actually gave good advice on the mulching mower.
however it is important to note how this method is not going
to work for the quadruple chin porker beast who is only going
to mow once a month.

a good high quality mulching mower such as the Snapper 21 inch
walk behind is going to be the best lawn care investment any
person living on a postage stamp size lot could ever make for
the over all health of their lawn.

mowing with a mulching mower once a week and sometimes twice a week
will create a great food supply for the lawn. the increased frequency
of cutting produces smaller clippings. during the fall of the year
when leaves are being mulched the increased frequency of cutting
allows for a better mulching of the leaves.

there are only two ways to have a great lawn. one is to actually
love and enjoy the performing and doing of the various procedures
required. educating ones self by seeking correct information such
as what is available from various universities and agricultural
extension services so as to get the best return from your investment
of time and money will also go a long way towards being able to produce
for yourself your overall desired outcome.

the other method is to contract the service of a lawn care service
who has already established a reputation for being able to deliver
an overall quality product.