Old 07-11-2008, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default OT WW1 War Records

In message , Martin
writes
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:15:36 -0000, Charlie Pridham

wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 22:31:10 -0000, "someone" wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
You may or may not know I'm well into Family History and thought some
others may have had relatives in or killed during the First World War.
Ancestry.com are allowing free access to the War Records at this time so
you can look them up.
http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/intl/uk/worldwar1.aspx

My dad was in the ANZAC forces during WWI, would you know if they have a
similar site? I'd love to find out more about where his division went.

I found my grandfather and his brother on the site, but other than that they
both fought in France and survived the war their wasn't much useful
information.
The record of my grandfather is incomplete. It's odd that the records don't
include a soldier's date of birth.

Mine both lied so it wouldn't help much!

I know my gradfather's brother was 16 when he volunteered. I was interested to
see what the official version of his age was.

I was not able to narrow the
6000 on offer enough to know which was my granddad.

So many Pridhams!
There was only one ambiguity in my case and one of the alternatives
died in 1916
so I knew which was the correct one.

But thanks for the
link Bob, I am interested but like Sally not enough to pay the sub!

me too LOL

Our county library has negotiated access to a bunch of online services
for library members, including Ancestry. Lots are available from home
via the library website, though I think ancestry is one of the ones you
have to go to the library to access from their computers.

My wife has used Ancestry investigating the family tree, she has picked
up some useful info from other people she didn't know but researching
related people from a different direction as it were.
--
Chris French