Old 07-11-2008, 06:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Which is better for the lawn over the winter?

Lawn Guy said:

Eggs Zachtly ) wrote:

What kind of chicken-shit coward are you?

Why are you afraid of google archiving your posts?

ROFL No fear here. Google could care less about the archive, dumbass. Don't
believe me? Look at the changes they've made to their search abilities.
Google stopped caring about the archive, and it's accessability when they
came out with Google Groups. **** Google. They're about revenue, not the
archive.

What do my headers have to do with the topic at hand, anyway. Oh, that's
right, you can't find anything to back up your claims, so you type anything
that comes to mind.

No, dumbass. They obviously claimed that what they quoted was the
worst lawn advice they'd ever seen. They were correct. Please try
and keep up.

Why don't you let Bob F respond, instead of putting words in his mouth.

If he hasn't put you in the bozo-bin (where you really belong), he'll most
likely reply.

It's a fact that municipal gov'ts do not want to see cut grass
taking up valuble space in landfills so they invent new propaganda
that leaving clippings on the lawn is better for your lawn.

Source? Other than your own feeble mind, of course.

Practically all internet searches on the topic of grass cutting will
return content claiming that by not bagging your grass, that you're
reducing the amount of material going to landfill.

You *do* have reading comprehension problems, don't you. Re-read what I
quoted from you, and called you on. Pay particular attention to:

| so they invent new propaganda
| that leaving clippings on the lawn is better for your lawn.

You then respond with a comment about 'reducing the amount of material
going to a landfill'. That's comparing apples to oranges, dipshit. You
didn't backup your claim even one tenth of one percent.

It's a fact that you will need to mow more frequently if you don't
bag your grass.

No. It's a fact that you need to mow your lawn as often as needed,

Yes it is. You must not cut more than 1/3 of the grass blade if you
want the cut blade to decay at ground level. Any longer and it will
decay at or near the lawn surface, and most of it's nutrients will be
consumed by bacteria or other organisms (or will blow away in the wind
or storm water runoff) and not returned to the soil.

In most cases, not cutting more than 1/3 of the blade means cutting your
grass more frequently at peak growing times - usually every 5 days. And
in fact, even proponents of leaving the clippings on the lawn recommend
raking / bagging during peak growing periods.

Are you saying that if you bag it, you can just let it grow
longer, and cut more off of it?

Yes, I do let my grass grow longer, and I usually do cut more than 1/3
of the blade during peak growing periods. I usually cut my grass every
7 to 10 days - never more frequently. And the grass looks great.

So, now you say you shouldn't cut more than one third of the blade, but you
usually do. You're /really/ gaining credibility here. *rolls eyes*

Bullshit. Or, are you the only one that's right, and the major
universities that specialize in turf care management are wrong?

It's politically incorrect to be a proponent of bagging your grass and
nobody will fund a research project that proves the benefits of bagging
your grass.

Now you're going to whine that you can't find anything about the benefits
of bagging your grass. Maybe because they feel that it's *not* better to
bag. Do you think that the universities, when doing research, don't test
both methods? Most leading turf-management university programs are
recommending *not* bagging.

-----------------
"Grass clippings from mowing do not contribute to thatch. However, once
a thatch layer has developed, clippings may speed its formation."

http://extension.missouri.edu/explor...ort/G06708.htm
-----------------
"Despite popular belief, short clippings dropped on the lawn after
mowing are not the cause of thatch buildup. Clippings are very high in
water content and breakdown rapidly when returned to lawns after mowing,
assuming lawns are mowed on a regular basis (not removing more than
one-third of the leaf blade)."

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/lawnchallenge/lesson5.html

So "short clippings" are not the cause of thatch buildup. Ok, what
about "long clippings" then?

Whether they're short or long, they're *still* 80% water. It doesn't matter
the length.

-----------------

Any detailed source of information on thatch will always say that
"SHORT" clippings don't contribute to thatch, or that "FREQUENT" grass
cutting is required to prevent thatch buildup.

Really? Not according to Ohio State (which, along with UC Davis, is
probably the leader in turf-care management universities).

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1191.html

"It is assumed that the return of grass clippings to the lawn will increase
thatch. This is not true. Grass clippings are about 75 to 85 percent water
and decompose readily. Thatch is formed from grass parts more resistant to
decay like roots, stems, nodes, crowns, etc."

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA...TS/thatch.html

"Do grass clippings contribute to thatch?

In a word - NO!

Research shows that turf clippings are from 85 to 95 percent water.
During the summer months these leaves decompose quickly leaving nitrogen
and other beneficial nutrients for the turf. Clippings remaining on the
lawn in the fall may not decompose until warmer weather returns in the
spring.

Plant parts differ in cell wall content, with roots, rhizomes and
stolons containing the greatest levels of lignin and are resistant to
decomposition. Leaf blades contain cellulose and hemi-cellulose that are
readily broken down by microbes. Grass clippings contain little lignin."

-------------------
"Approximately one quarter of a lawn’s fertilizer need can be met by
recycling grass clippings."

http://hoke.ces.ncsu.edu/index.php?page=news&ci=LAWN+6

So that dispells the myth that the lawn can receive all, or even the
majority, of it's nutrition from grass clippings. Some people claim
that their lawn gets all the nutrition it needs from the grass
clippings. They are obviously wrong.

Noone here has made that claim.

The "don't bag your grass" crowd has given some people the idea that
fertilizer isin't needed.
-------------------

Noone in this group has stated anything of the sort.

The truth is, grass clippings left on lawns will probably be blown away
onto nearby roads and get washed away in storm water runnoff. The
cuttings disappear, and most people think it's going down to the soil
surface, but I bet most of it ends up in storm sewers or roadside
ditches.

There you go again, using that cavern between your ears as a source. Please
refrain from saying something is "the truth" if you can't reliably back it
up.

On the internet, many proponents of leaving the clippings on the grass
are lawn maintainence company web pages.

Every source I've given you has been reliable, and not from a 'lawn
maintainence company web page'.

[snipped. irrelevant]

Truth is, it's probably better for the ecology to bag and compost your
grass vs leaving the clippings on the grass for them to dry up and get
blown away and eventually end up in streams and rivers taking their
fertilizer and herbicide residues with them.

Truth again? Again, source? *yawn*

You obviously don't know shit about thatch,

You know, I don't have a thatch problem.

Noone said you did. You seem to be having that problem a lot, here. Do the
voices tell you things, and you simply add them to your posts?

Because I BAG my grass.

I don't care what you say about thatch.

You don't care what anyone says about anything, it appears. You know
everything there is to know, right?

Unless you have a lawn that
you've been bagging for 5 to 10 years, you can't say that bagging your
grass does, or does not, reduce thatch.

There's that comprehension problem, rearing it's ugly little head again.
Please re-read the sources above. Perhaps reading them slowly, or aloud
will help you grasp it better. I'm sure that everyone here is probably
getting tired of repeating it.

If all those experts, if all those university studies, are ALWAYS
dealing with lawns where the clippings are left on the lawn, then how
can they say that bagging DOESN'T reduce thatch ??? To do a proper
test, you need to compare 2 lawns, side-by-side, where one lawn was
always bagged (at least for 5 seasons) and the other one wasn't. Show
me that study. I bet it doesn't exist.

You don't know much about research, do you. Perhaps you should really take
some college courses (try Bio, first), and learn about how it's done,
before spewing your drivel all over yourself.

I don't have thatch. I can see right down to the soil surface. I've
never de-thatched.

You want a healthy lawn?

You don't like cutting your lawn every 5 days?

You don't like it when dried up grass is blown around, on your driveway,
your front porch, being tracked into your house or garage?

Then bag your grass.

Your opinion. Not fact. Please stop confusing the two.

[budget-related whine snipped]

--

Eggs

-Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman she
meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again. -
Marin County newspaper's TV listing for The Wizard of Oz