Old 07-11-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default OT WW1 War Records

"Bob Hobden" wrote...
You may or may not know I'm well into Family History and thought some
others may have had relatives in or killed during the First World War.
Ancestry.com are allowing free access to the War Records at this time so
you can look them up.
http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/intl/uk/worldwar1.aspx

Seeing as a lot of you are obviously interested in your Family Tree I don't
know if you are aware of the excellent and free (yes free Martin) Family
tree program PAF5 from the Mormons. Easy to use and the more you use it the
more it does.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
I bought a program some years ago but prefer this free one.

Also, whilst at first glance findmypast.com is cheaper than ancestry.co.uk I
haven't found that in practice. I have almost exclusively used ancestry. You
are going to have to get duplicate Birth and Marriage certs at £7 each
anyway to prove you have the correct persons (until you get back past 1837)
and the wife's maiden name etc.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden