Old 08-11-2008, 06:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default Which is better for the lawn over the winter?

on 10/29/2008 11:06 AM willshak said the following:
If no scientific study available, which is better in your experience
or opinion?
Raking all the leaves off the lawn before winter, or leaving the
leaves where they fell, and under a blanket of snow (see sig for
location). If left on the lawn where they fell, would the nutrients be
better released by melting snow, and also provide a smidgen of
insulation for the ground?

Has everyone gotten their frustrations and anger out over this message?
I'm gonna mulch the leaves. It was a matter of timing. My tractor mows
and snowblows, but it involves replacing the mower with the snowblower.
I still have leaves on the trees, but the temperature has been mild for
this time of year (Thank god for global warming :-))
If I replace the mower too early, I can't mulch the leaves. If I wait
too long, I may be replacing the mower for the snowblower while laying
in the snow.
Here in the NE (see sig), My grass stays green over the winter, and in
those places where the late fallen leaves have never been raked up, the
spring grass growth lifts the leaves up and they are removed in the
first mowing of the spring.
I use a contractors grass seed mix, which contains all sorts of grass
seed, from annual to perennial, so I don't know what grass is actually
growing in the spring. In the past I have used annual grass in some
places, but it seemed that they stayed all year.
I would never waste beer on the lawn. If I drink the beer, I don't care
what the lawn looks like! :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY