Old 08-11-2008, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge Rusty_Hinge is offline

Default My Box knott garden is truning yellow

The message
from stuartforrest contains
these words:

We have bought a house that has a lovely box knott garden. During the
months since we moved in some of the box trees have started to turn
yellow and now many of them are completely yellow. As yet the leaves
are not dropping off.

Picture of the hedges

This isn't a binary newsgroup, so any images are removed from post on servers.

We were told that it was maybe because the soil was too damp and
indeed the box's are planted in soil which has a very tight weedproof
membrane and then the blue slate on top. We tried cutting the membrane
back about a foot fron the edge so the box were not totally surrounded
by membrane but this doesnt seem to have helped.

Earthworms need oxygen just like all other creatures. Soil's probably
gone sour.

Interestingly many of the plants are flourishing and odd ones in the
middle of yellow ones are green. We have whole sections that are still
green and much taller and stronger than the yellow ones.

Ah! That sounds rather like vine weevil attack. Gargle for biological
control, or someone will be along here soon to tell you where to get the
remedy.

Does anyone know what else we should try.

Sequestered iron, perhaps. Murphy do one called, IIRC, 'Sequestrene',
which also contains (again IIRC) magnesium and manganese. Manganese
deficience (often met with in Eastern England) is a contender.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig