Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Using insect netting on a raised bed

"Glen" wrote in message

Does anyone know the best way to anchor insect netting over raised beds?
The beds are wooden and surrounded by stone paths.

In a similar sort of set up (but with wood chip mulched paths) I keep my
bird netting and gauze curtains in place by using old boards/tomato
stakes/bricks to hold the covering in place.

Second question I 'm going to build a wooden frame over them to
support the netting - what height should I make the frames over and
above the bed?

It obviously depends on what is growing under the cover. If it's sweet corn
it'd have to be at least 6 ft tall.

I use 8 guarge fencing wire to hold mine up. I shove it into the ground and
it forms a natural hoop because of how it comes off the roll. I have
various leanths that when not in use are stuffed into the wire fence for
storage