Old 10-11-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jane Jane is offline

Default question about indoor Mum

On Nov 8, 11:04*am, Bill wrote:
In article
,

*Jane wrote:
I have a beautiful mum plant in my dining room. *It's full of bright
yellow, daisy like flowers. *It is not the hardy variety and I live in
Boston - cold! * I've had it for about a month and the flowers are
starting to fade.

When the flowers go do I have to throw it out or can I do something to
save it until next year?

Thanks

*My *father in law was able to grow Mumıs at Lakehurst *NJ. USA. *SANDY
SOIL. *I treat them like annuals. *Some are forced to bloom and I guess
that diminishes vitality. *Around here we can go cheap and dig our own
local plants.

*Here is a site that touches on your question.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Perennials-729/Mums-really-hardy.htm

Bill R is right on.

* Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Thanks. It gets VERY cold here sometimes so all the mums that I have
outside are the "hardy" variety. I don't actually live in the city of
Boston, which has a more temperate climate. I live in a suburb where
it gets close to zero quite often.