Old 10-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Valkyrie

Default when to prune my rose?

My grandma told me to not prune roses in the fall except to clean up broken
branches. Prune your roses as soon as you see the forsythia starting to
crack open with blooms. I'm sure there are all kinds of rose pruning schools
of thought and practice but that's the one I stuck to for all the years had
roses. Listen to grandma :-)

Val

"Stephen Younge" wrote in message
I live in Boulder, Colorado, and noticed that a large rose bush (about

four
feet tall) in our backyard is greening up already.

Last year, I vowed to prune it, as it is so tall that it bends down to the
ground once it blooms.

Should I prune this spring or wait until this fall?

I'm a rose/flower newby, as most of my gardening to date has been

tomatoes,
cucumbers, and the like!

Any advice would be appreciated!

cheers,