Old 10-11-2008, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default pansy assassin

'Mike' wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest what may be attacking my pansies? They're in troughs on
a window sill and, one by one, something seems to be lopping the tops off
very cleanly at ground level. No soil or root disturbance, and no damage
to flowers or foliage.

Any advice welcome

Slugs

Put a ring of copper wire around your trough.

My daughter and son in law were away for a couple of weeks and we looked
after their place. EXACTLY the same thing was happening to a pair of tubs
either side of the front door, until .......................................
I put the copper wire round :-)

Mike

Ah. Copper wire you say. Maybe I'll try a length of 2.5mm cable round
the base of the trough, or would it be better round the top edge?
I'd better locate the slugs too. Wouldn't want to be trapping them
inside the troughs :-)