Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pansy assassin

On Nov 11, 11:21 am, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:15:58 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Nov 10, 10:59 pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:43:47 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:40:53 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from stuart noble contains these words:

Can anyone suggest what may be attacking my pansies? They're in troughs
on a window sill and, one by one, something seems to be lopping the tops
off very cleanly at ground level. No soil or root disturbance, and no
damage to flowers or foliage.

Any advice welcome

Slugs.

hint They prefer slug pellets to pansies. /hint

Isn't there some botrytis-type disease which attacks pansies, making
them keel over and die? It might be that. If it is, no cure AFAIK.

Until recently we had a tortoise that gorged on pansies.
--

Martin

What happened to him Martin and how old is/was he?

We had him around 14 years, he has been relocated to a tortoise asylum.
a) we don't get letters from the asylum anymore suggesting that keeping a
tortoise is cruel.
b) The pansies last longer
c) The bloody thing doesn't manage to escape at least once a year only to be
returned by a do gooder.
--

Martin

LOL