Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Palm ID

On Nov 11, 6:03 am, Dave Poole wrote:
Judith wrote:
Duh Dave, why is it that you make me feel insignificant - nooo, don't
answer :-)

Now you're making me feel guilty Judith. The point I was trying to
make is that as unusual as that leaf shape may appear to be, it is
quite common amongst certain Asiatic palms. The shape of the half
leaf shown is possibly more characteristic of Caryota, but several of
the others are extremely similar in their post-seedling stages. I had
Arenga micrantha from a 2 leaved seedling and although it now has
rather long ragged-edged leaflets, for 2 years it looked just like a
large leaved Caryota. A better pic would have been of the entire
plant or at least a complete leaf showing the arrangement of the
leaflets. However, probability indicates it is C. mitis since it is
the most commonly available.

Now I wonder if I can remember that - maybe not :-) Thanks David.