Old 11-11-2008, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pansy assassin

On Nov 11, 1:37 pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:46:22 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Nov 10, 11:29 pm, Sally Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:19:08 +0000, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Nov 10, 1:19 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from stuart noble contains these words:

Ah. Copper wire you say. Maybe I'll try a length of 2.5mm cable round
the base of the trough, or would it be better round the top edge?
I'd better locate the slugs too. Wouldn't want to be trapping them
inside the troughs :-)

They'll be in the soil of the trough.

That's why I suggested hint slug pellets /hint.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

I tried organic methods, once, of getting rid keeping slugs and snails
off my plants in pots, but, they were in the soil, I handpicked
several times but they still came back and I resorted to slug
pellets. On my parents grave, I have an awful problem when putting
fresh flowers there, within a couple of days they are almost eaten!
They are buried in a lovely old flint walled churchyard and I don't
like to throw green pellets around, any tips???

Judith, you can get organic slug pellets now and I have used them with great
success. They act by stopping the slug from feeding and you don't get those
revolting dead bodies. They are safe for birds to eat (both the slugs and
the pellets). Hint. They are even safe for chickens to eat - I checked with
the manufacturer! They are called Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer and
supposedly rain fast (though I think our recent weather might be a
challenge). The tub I have will last me ages since it suggests a maximum of
four applications per crop. Not sure whether that is because an overdose will
harm the crop (too much iron) or whether four is the maximum necessary.

[Aside - anyone hear my husband ask his slug question on Gardeners' Question
Time broadcast on 2nd November?]

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

I didn't hear your husband, unfortunately Sally as I can't get Radio 4
here, shame.

Of course you can use your PC.http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/radio4fm/?fm

Listen to a recording of GQhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00f92b6
--

Martin

Oh Thanks Martin, thank you, I go on there now.

Judith