Old 11-11-2008, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Astelia Silver Spear.

It's very easy to grow in moist yet well drained soils and seems
reasonably hardy, although possibly not as tough as A. nervosa. I've
always grown it (A. chatamica aka 'Silver Spear') in full sun, which
encourages a more silvery sheen. I dare say it would tolerate shade,
but suspect it might become rather more green, which sort of defeats
the object of growing it somewhat. A very nice plant and remarkably
fast growing when well sited. When I was living at my old house, I
bought one that was about 18" high. Within 2 years it was a bold
clump some 4 feet across and almost as tall. It does well in the
Midlands and should be a doddle with you in S. Wales.