Old 13-11-2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Autumn leaves as mulch?

Ed ex@directory wrote:
Newbie wrote:

As a new gardener in soon-to-freeze Midwest, I have noticed the
following irony: We as well as our neighbors are raking bags upon bags
of autumn leaves from the front and back yards and discarding them. At
the same time we are buying mulch to protect newly planted perennials
during the winter.

An obvious question is, could we use those leaves as mulch? I get
enough to make as thick a layer as needed?

Y r u bothering to rake those leaves up? �What harm they doing to u? �Y
not let em lay and rot as nature intended?

Y r u incapable of analytical thought, that perhaps there's a lawn
under the trees, that the leaves would b best used as mulch in the
perennial beds to protect new plantings rather than b left to kill the
lawn. Obviously your response is indicative of someone too lazy to
rake leaves... I bet you tell your mommy why do I have to clean my
room, why can't I just leave my filthy clothes to rot on the floor.