Old 14-11-2008, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Autumn leaves as mulch?

In article
,
Jessica Mae wrote:

On Nov 13, 1:53*pm, Newbie wrote:
As a new gardener in soon-to-freeze Midwest, I have noticed the
following irony: We as well as our neighbors are raking bags upon bags
of autumn leaves from the front and back yards and discarding them. At
the same time we are buying mulch to protect newly planted perennials
during the winter.

An obvious question is, could we use those leaves as mulch? I get
enough to make as thick a layer as needed?

I live in the midwest as well. You shouldn't use your leaves as mulch
because they tend to develop mold & you'll just have continuing
problems on your hands.

May Your Life Be Sweet And Simple 3:15 Blue Highway Midnight Storm
Country 2 10/3/08 5:55 PM MPEG audio file 1998

Sings of wet leaves and more.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA