Old 14-11-2008, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Autumn leaves as mulch?

"Jessica Mae" wrote in message
An obvious question is, could we use those leaves as mulch? I get
enough to make as thick a layer as needed?

I live in the midwest as well. You shouldn't use your leaves as mulch
because they tend to develop mold & you'll just have continuing
problems on your hands.

ALL dead plant material will develop mould unless you live in a very arid
place, it's a key part of the way that natural recycling works regardless of
being in the midwest or not. There may be some cases where some unwanted
moulds are spread by some organic mulch but as a general rule this is not a
problem. Ignore this advice, leaf litter is very suitable mulch and any
risks do not outweigh the benefits.

David