Old 16-11-2008, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Bringing pepper plant in for Winter?

OhioGuy wrote:
Has anyone successfully brought a pepper plant in for the Winter? I
brought one of ours, a jalapeno, in just a day before we got our killing
frost last week. It is transplanted into a 4 gallon bucket near a south
facing kitchen window. I think it needs to re-establish its root
system, but I do see some tiny green leaves here and there. I pruned
back most of the plant, because it had grown far too tall. I felt that
I needed to lessen the demands on the roots in the short term. Plus,
with fewer leaves, I could look them over more easily for aphids.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips or suggestions from having
successfully taken a pepper plant through the winter before? Thanks!

I've done it a few times with unusual pepper plants (like an accidental
jalapeņo x C. chinense hybrid.) It's a lot of trouble. You'll be doing
good just to keep it alive all winter, then when you plant it out in the
spring it will lose all its leaves and then leaf out again and start
blooming -- if you can get it that far.

You probably won't get any peppers in the winter.

Bob