Old 16-11-2008, 01:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Wow! Quiet out there.

Everyone must be sleeping with their fishes. ;-)

Apparently there was a heron on my roof this morning, neighbor informed me.
Course everything is zipped up tight here now. Put the smaller pump in so
am now on total slow flow.

Did pretty much the last of the leaves today and cut the cannas down and
stowed them in the garage.

One thing I found out, debugging the taro does work as I didn't do it this
year and boy did the aphids thrive once brought in. To treat I got some
light weight clear plastic sheeting and a hanging no-pest-strip. Covered
the plants and hung the strip. They started dying within hours, dropping
into the water. I'm hoping leaving it on for 2 weeks will do in the ones
that are hatching and will hatch. Anyone have advice on that? Like could
the chemical being killing the eggs? I did read they don't make eggs
immediately after hatching, so I shouldn't have to worry about new eggs
from new hatchings as fast as this killed the adults.

Come Feb. if & when I see anything on the cannas I will probably do this
same thing, rather than treating the plants directly and worrying about
anything entering the ponds after the fact. I've never had a problem
probably due to the long time between treating and putting them in the
pond.... but no use taking chances. Next year I'll probably do this type
debugging while they're still on the patio. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us