Old 16-11-2008, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dee Dee is offline

Default Bringing pepper plant in for Winter?

OhioGuy wrote in :

Has anyone successfully brought a pepper plant in for the
Winter? I
brought one of ours, a jalapeno, in just a day before we got our
killing frost last week. It is transplanted into a 4 gallon
bucket near a south facing kitchen window. I think it needs to
re-establish its root system, but I do see some tiny green leaves
here and there. I pruned back most of the plant, because it had
grown far too tall. I felt that I needed to lessen the demands on
the roots in the short term. Plus, with fewer leaves, I could
look them over more easily for aphids.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips or suggestions from having
successfully taken a pepper plant through the winter before?
Thanks!

I did this one winter with a serrano pepper plant. I put it in a room
with a south-facing window and watered it sparingly. In the spring I
re-hardened it off slowly by putting it outside on my deck on warm days
and bringing it in in the evenings. I remember it flowered much sooner
than the new pepper plants I bought as seedlings, and I received
another nice crop of serranos from it that second year.

Dee