Old 17-11-2008, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge Rusty_Hinge is offline

Default HELP. I have hopping shrimp like bugs in my garden

The message
from Dave Poole contains these words:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Coo! Could you catch me some, please?
I'm making a vivarium for land hermit crabs, but I have another two old
glass accumulator cases which should be ideal for those.

I think the only problem with keeping these would be that they need
rather high levels of constant moisture and appear to shun the
light. They would be in hiding for almost all of the time and your
accumulator cases would appear empty as a result. I suspect they like
it cool but never freezing as well. I've just found this*, which gives
the impression of what they look like. Nothing very impressive I'm
afraid and they move so quickly any questionable attractions are very
hard to spot.

* http://www.boxvalley.co.uk/nature/sns/wad43/w43-ad.htm

I'll have a rummage next weekend and make sure they're still around.

I really don't mind if they are invisible most of the time - and keeping
them moist is no problem as I don't have central heating.

I like 'odd' things, hence the attraction of dry-land hermit crabs.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig