Old 17-11-2008, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default tiny white "eggs" on soil of indoor succulent

"K" wrote in message
Spider writes

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi, I have about 30 cacti and succulents indoors. One suddenly has lots
of
little white things about 1mm across in the soil.

They look like eggs. I've just brought some plants inside, and did find
beetle on my floor the other day..

Is there anything I should do? I love this plant and apart from this
it's
doing really well.

Because you saw a beetle, I wondered about the Vine Weevil but, on
Googling,
I note their eggs are brown. I don't know what 'your' eggs are, but just
in
case the 'beetle' you saw was VWeevil, I would stock up on a proprietory
VW
pesticide. Better safe than sorry.

I've not experienced vine weevil damage on either cacti or succulents, but
that may be because I have other things (primroses and cyclamen) which
they prefer. Unless you see vine weevil grubs or have a firm
identification, don't use VW pesticide. Apart from anything else, it's too
easy to build up pest resistance to pesticides when you use them too
freely in an enclosed environment. Pesticide resistance means it is
increasingly difficult to control red spider or whitefly in a greenhouse
environment.

Agreed. Perhaps I might have been clearer; I said "stock up" with the
pesticide intending that only *necessary* usage was implicit. Since I was
misunderstood, I should have obviously been more explicit. Thanks for
picking that up.

As to the mystery eggs, the best advice I can give you is to isolate the
affected plant and repot it in clean compost. I know it's not the ideal
time of year, but repotting seems to me the lesser risk. I know that
someone suggested the 'eggs' were maybe fertiliser, but I wouldn't have
said
that fertiliser granulues were *that* tiny .... the same much applies to
snail eggs.

II'd agree with the repotting advice, though I'd be inclined to delay a
while, and not repot until you have a suspicion of actual damage -
although repotting in a warm house is less of a problem than repotting in
a cold greenhouse.
--
Kay

Yup, I'll go along with that. :~)