Old 18-11-2008, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default tiny white "eggs" on soil of indoor succulent

"Tom" wrote in message
et...

II'd agree with the repotting advice, though I'd be inclined to delay a
while, and not repot until you have a suspicion of actual damage -
although repotting in a warm house is less of a problem than repotting
in a cold greenhouse.
--
Kay

Yup, I'll go along with that. :~)

Spider

Ok, thanks. Is there anything I should do in the meantime? Just isolate
it?

Yes, Tom, I did mention isolating it, something you should always do with a
sick plant (or a new plant), just to be on the safe side.

- It's definitely not capsules. I repotted in about April with just
standard cactus compost.

- The soil was bone dry and had been for over a week. I last watered about
2 or 3 weeks ago and I have central heating (I know this isn't good, but
apart from these eggs everything seems to thrive).

Cheers,

Tom.

I'm not sure what more you can do until you know what you're dealing with.
You seem to be doing the right thing (give or take the central heating,
which doesn't seem to be the problem), so carry on as usual once you've
isolated the plant concerned. If you want to keep the 'eggs' as a culture,
as suggested, to see what they are, then I suggest you gently scrape the top
layer of compost away into a jar (so you can see what's happening) with all
the 'eggs'. This should remove the largest part of the problem .. may
expose any deeper problem .. and allows you to top dress with clean compost.
Still keep the plant in isolation for a while, as a precaution. In the
meantime, you may choose to squish one of the 'eggs', to see if you learn
anything.

Spider