Old 18-11-2008, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vacutone Vacutone is offline

Default Planting suggestions for virus infected area?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 8:43:13 +0000, Charlie Pridham wrote
(in message ):

In article m,
says...
... I have had to remove one hellebore as it showed distorted
leaves
strongly suggesting virus infection. The same thing is happening to the
periwinkles and I will remove them too. snip

unless you have had the material tested it is not likely to be virus,
much more likely to be aphids or some other sap sucker that has moved on
before you saw the leaves, even if it was virus they are all plant
specific and each virus will only affect a narrow group of plants.
Try Geranium maccrorhizum types

If you're right about this most likely not being a virus then I'd think the
best thing is to leave the periwinkles where they are and see what happens-
if it's just insect activity the distorted leaves should not get markedly
worse. Would you agree?

(Geranium suggestion noted- thanks).
--
Vacutone

PS In case this goes the wrong way- any idea where I can get plant material
tested for viruses- and is it expensive?