Old 18-11-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge Rusty_Hinge is offline

Default Cutting back/pruning lilac

The message
from "Nick" contains these words:

Light and better conditions are now available to the lilacs.
If I take some of the weight out of the crowns are they ever likely to do
well or succeed?
I really don't want to cut them down. My wife and I enjoy both the plants
and the blooms but there is also some sentimentality on my part.

You can cut them right down if necessary and they will regrow from the
roots. They are almost sure to sucker anyway.

You can prune to your heart's content, they will come back again, even
if it's only to spite you...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig