Old 18-11-2008, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vacutone Vacutone is offline

Default Planting suggestions for virus infected area?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:29:15 +0000, Spider wrote
(in message ):

Since you had two layers before (with the periwinkles and hellebores), I
suggest you do something similar with a combination of the following

For the ground layer: Chiastophyllum oppositifolium (Lamb's Tails)Late
spring flowers
Persicaria cv (a ground-hugging form) Late
summer flowers
Lamium, in variety (there are some good
forms) Spring flowers
Pachysandra, the plain or variegated form.
Late Spring flowers
Ajuga, in variety, bronze-purple/variegated
lvs., Late Spr. flowers

For the taller layer: Bergenia Spring/Late Spring flowers
Heuchera Summer flowers (repeats when
deadheaded)
Epimedium Late Winter flowers
Brunnera Late Spring flowers

With the exception of the Pachysandra, I grow all of these in my shady
woodland garden, and they all do well *and* they don't seem to be troubled
by slugs and snails - an important consideration in a damp, shady site.

As you say, Euonymous is a good option, but the flowers are insignificant.
If you've got room for another small/medium shrub, then Fuchsia 'Mrs Popple'
would give you some lovely carmine and purple flowers throughout summer.

Spider

Great suggestions- I will have fun looking all these up- thanks!

--
Vacutone