Old 10-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Len Arzoomanian , BonsaiRI

Default [IBC] Light bulbs, think about it! Kinda on topic

dalecochoy wrote:

Value. They were rated 90W and were 6,000 hour bulbs. Fairly expensive. Well, after 9 months one burned out!

Dale

The life rating on of a bulb is usually derived from bulbs that get turned on once and then eventually die. This is the perfect situation. The worst thing you can do to a bulb is turn it on and off. Turning it on and off actually adds a mechanical stres
s to the filament. In other words with each on and off the filament actually moves. Move a wire back and forth too much and what happens? It breaks. So you will see bulbs go sooner in locations where they are consistently on and off. Think about it.
How many times has a bulb just gone off on in the middle of being lit as compared to walking in a room and turning the light on and poof!

As far as the problem with your voltage? The electric company usually regulates both the voltage and the frequency pretty well. At least in the US. I actually have a clock I made that gets it's time base off the 120hz the power runs at. It keeps pretty
good time! I can see the possibility of low voltage but not high. I am not talking about spikes due to motors in your house or nearby or lightning strikes in the area. These can harm items in your house, I agree. A consistently high voltage however is
hard to believe. I am not sure what the gain would come from? If this is the issue then your not going to be the only house on the block with the problem.

Len

PLEASE NOTE MY NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS:

http://www.bonsairi.com
http://www.rhodeislandbonsaisociety.org